The Most Important Questions to ask Yourself in Life
“The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.” – John Simone
What questions do you ask yourself every day?
Your mind practically tells (you) who you are. What the mind thinks of and its perception determines your outward appearance and attitude. The big question is, what kind of questions do we ask ourselves every day? It is of no doubt that the questions we engage our mind with portray the kind of life we intend to lead. We brainstorm to figure out perfect answers to these questions which unknowingly reveal our emotions that prompt certain actions and finally define our personality. The mind apparently provides numerous answers to all kind of questions inquired within and dwells on answers that it chooses to be right. The answer chosen could be negative or positive, whichever is what we act upon and display in our attitude.
It is of no doubt that the questions we engage our mind with portray the kind of life we intend to lead. We brainstorm to figure out perfect answers to these questions which unknowingly reveal our emotions that prompt certain actions and finally define our personality. The mind apparently provides numerous answers to all kind of questions inquired within and dwells on answers that it chooses to be right. The answer chosen could be negative or positive, whichever is what we act upon and display in our attitude.
Some people ask themselves questions like “Why am I so unfortunate?”, “What if I had done this earlier?” and “Why am I always in such a situation?” These kinds of questions are as lethal as a poisoned reptile. They are negative questions that make you lose value in yourself. They basically reduce your esteem and allow doubt and fear to envelop you. They demoralize you and make you see life from a non-motivating perspective. However questions like “What can I learn from this experience?”, “What unique thing can I do?” and “What am I grateful for?” are empowering and motivating. They make you see life from a lovely perspective, they restore hope and build your belief, they inspire you and get you thinking, putting you on the path to a promising life.
Self-reflection is a mind exercise that makes you know yourself better; it brings to your notice your actual intentions, flaws, and strengths. It is an integrated evaluation of oneself that makes you respond immediately to life questions at any point of your life. People that fail to self-examine themselves find it difficult to answer some personal questions.
I can remember vividly when my primary school teacher threw a question at me, the question seemed simple and it sounded like the answer would be at the lips of every student, but this apparently wasn’t the case. He asked, “How would you describe yourself?” I couldn’t save myself, I brainstormed trying to figure out the right adjectives to describe myself and this was actually because I had never self-reflected. Afterward, I made it a habit to practice self-reflection, later I enjoyed every process and became introspective. I then grew into the realization that the key to self-awareness and personal growth is self-reflection. Self-reflection is a gradual process, it is almost impossible to get the right answers immediately at the initial stage of this discovery process. The mind will be trained and developed with time as you get it involved.
In this content, we shall highlight 101 self-reflection questions that can reveal who you really are and build your mind. When you provide answers to these questions from time to time you begin to understand your inner self and master your mind. This awesome discovery of oneself happens as time goes on. You will come across different answers as you continue the process.
Here are some important questions to ask yourself:
1. Who are you?
2. What do you love doing/ what do you have passion for?
3. What achievements bring happiness to you when remembered?
4. What are the experiences or things you mostly appreciate in life? (Day 14 of Live a Better Life in 30 Days Program is about expressing gratitude.)
5. What are the most important things to you in life?
6. How would you describe yourself?
7. What are your values? What do you represent? What do you want to embody? (On Day 15 of Live a Better Life in 30 Days Program, you will identify your values.)
8. Do you love yourself?
9. … Why or Why not?
10. How can you love yourself more today?
11. What is your ideal self? What does it mean to be your highest self?
12. Look at your life now. Are you living the life of your dreams?
13. If you have one year left to live, what would you do?
14. If you have one month left to live, what would you do?
15. If you have one week left to live, what would you do?
16. If you have one day left to live, what would you do?
17. If you have an hour left to live, what would you do?
18. If you have one minute left to live, what would you do?
19. What would you do today if there is no more tomorrow?
20. What are the biggest things you’ve learned in life to date?
21. What advice would you give to yourself 3 years ago?
22. If you are yourself 1 year from the future, how would you advise the you now? (On Day 22 of Live a Better Life in 30 Days Program, we travel to the future to give advice to the us today.)
23. Is there something you’re still holding on to? Is it time to let it go?
24. What are you busy with today? Will this matter 1 year from now? 3 years? 5 years?
25. What are your Quadrant 2 tasks?
26. What opportunities are you looking for?
27. How can you create these opportunities?
28. What are your biggest goals and dreams?
29. What’s stopping you from pursuing them? …Why? How can you overcome them?
30. If you are to do something for free for the rest of your life, what would you want to do?
31. What would you do if you cannot fail; if there are no limitations in money, resources, time or networks?
32. What do you want to achieve 1 year from now?
33. … 3 years?
34. … 5 years?
35. … 10 years?
36. How important are these goals to you?
37. What if these goals are doubled? Tripled? Magnified by 10? How would you feel? Would you prefer to achieve these or your previous goals?
38. Who are the people who have achieved similar goals? … What can you learn from them?
39. Are you putting any parts of your life on hold? … Why?
40. What’s the top priority in your life right now?
41. What are you doing about it?
42. If you were to die tomorrow, what would be your biggest regret? What can you do now to make sure that doesn’t happen?
43. For every experience you get: What are the biggest things you have learned?
44. How can you do this better the next time?
45. If you have 1 million dollars, what will you do with it?
46. Do you love your job?
47. What is your ideal career?
48. How can you start creating your ideal career starting today?
49. What is your ideal diet?
50. What do you need to do to achieve your ideal diet?
51. What is your ideal home like?
52. What do you need to do to achieve your ideal home?
53. What is your ideal physical look?
54. What do you need to do to achieve your ideal physical look?
55. What is your ideal life?
56. What can you do to start living your ideal life?
57. What would you want to say to yourself 1 year in the future?
58. … 3 years?
59. … 5 years?
60. … 10 years?
61. What do you fear most in life?
62. Is there anything you are running away from?
63. Are you settling for less than what you are worth? … Why?
64. What is your inner dialogue like? (Day 26 of Be a Better Me in 30 Days Program is about uncovering your limiting thoughts.)
65. What limiting beliefs are you holding on to?
66. Are they helping you achieve your goals?
67. If not, is it time to let them go?
68. What empowering beliefs can you take on to help you achieve your goals?
69. What bad habits do you want to break?
70. What good habits do you want to cultivate?
71. What are the biggest actions you can take now to create the biggest results in your life?
72. Where are you living right now – the past, future or present?
73. Are you living your life to the fullest right now?
74. What is the meaning of life?
75. What is your purpose in life? Why do you exist? What is your mission?
76. How can you make your life more meaningful, starting today?
77. What drives you?
78. What are the times you are most inspired, most motivated, most charged up?
79. What did you do during those times? How can you do more of that starting today?
80. How can you change someone’s life for the better today?
81. Who are the 5 people you spend the most time with?
82. Are these people enabling you or holding you back?
83. What qualities do you want to embody? (Refer to Q7: Values and Q11: Ideal Self) Where can you meet people who embody these qualities?
84. Who inspire you the most?
85. How can you be like them?
86. What is your ideal life partner like?
87. Where can you find him/her?
88. How can you get to know him/her?
89. Are you afraid of letting others get close to you?
90. … Why?
91. Who is/are the most important person(s) to you in the world?
92. Are you giving them the attention you want to give?
93. How can you spend more time with them starting today?
94. What kind of person do you enjoy spending time with?
95. How can you be this person to others?
96. Who do you want to be like in 1 year?
97. … 3 years?
98. … 5 years?
99. … 10 years?
100. Who are your mentors in life? (formal or informal)
101. What is one thing you’re going to do differently after reading this article?